Thanks for checking out Let's talk...Memory Books!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options, why don't you take 37 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other Let's talk...Memory Books members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • Too many membership perks to list! Join today for free!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. this is just a test for the message system
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Discussion in 'Breakfast : Snacks' started by Trishee, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Serves 6 (makes twelve 5-inch pancakes)

1 sweet potato, large
    2 3/4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    5 Tablespoons light brown sugar
    3 teaspoons baking soda
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    3 cups buttermilk
    3 large eggs
    2 Tablespoons butter (melted), plus more for topping, if desired
    2 Tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Nonstick cooking spray or oil, to moisten skillet
    Maple syrup or favorite topping

Tools
    Three bowls
    Griddle or skillet
    Pancake flipper
    Peeler, if desired
    Masher, if desired

[​IMG]

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

1. Roast the sweet potato in an oven at 350 degrees F, directly on the rack for 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove the skin when cool. (You can roast the potato the day before and store in the fridge in a Ziploc® Container with Snap 'n Seal Lid.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, brown sugar, baking soda, and baking powder.
    3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
    4. Blend the wet mixture into the dry mixture.
    5. Peel and mash the sweet potato, place it in a bowl, and then add the honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
    6. Add the sweet potato mixture to the pancake batter and stir well. Let the batter stand for 1 hour (or you can make it a day ahead of time).
    7. Cook the pancakes on a nonstick or well-oiled griddle or skillet. Pour 1/2 cup of batter onto your griddle and cook until lots of air bubbles appear. Flip pancake over and cook for a minute or until firm to the touch.
    8. Keep the pancakes warm in an oven at 200 degrees F until ready to serve. Drizzle with maple syrup or your favorite topping.

Diane's Tip: My family loves these pancakes topped with butter and maple syrup. But I usually forgo the sweet stuff and throw a handful of crushed walnuts on top and a dab of nonfat yogurt—just as yummy!

http://www.cleanhomejournal.com/recipe-corner/main-dishes/38-pancakes.asp

2. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

My grandmother over did the "yams and marshmallows" thing when I was a defenseless kid. I can't even look at either one in the grocery store without getting sick.

3. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

I like yams and marshmallows... but I hate green peppers.. for much of the same reasons as you hehe. I was forced to eat them when younger, now, after many years I can pass them in the store without gagging, barely lol.

4. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Green peppers I can take raw but not cooked. My mother's solution to any vegetable was to boil it into submission. I like my vegetables as salads.

5. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

I will make a deal with you. If ever we are at a meal where there are sweet potatoes, and bell peppers... i will eat your sweet potatoes if you eat my share of bell peppers...:the wave:

6. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Deal! (filler)