Thanks for checking out Let's talk...Memory Books!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options, why don't you take 37 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other Let's talk...Memory Books members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • Too many membership perks to list! Join today for free!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. this is just a test for the message system
    Dismiss Notice

Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Midnight, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Midnight

Midnight
    Expand Collapse

Chinese medicine, often known as Oriental medicine or traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), encompasses a vast array of folk medical practices based on mysticism. It holds the belief that the body’s vital energy (Qi) circulates in the body through channels known as meridians, with branches connected to bodily organs and functions. A disruption or imbalance of the Qi leads to illness. Ancient remedies such as Qigong, use of herbs and acupuncture are believed to restore the balance of the Qi.

Traditional acupuncture as practiced in China for more than 2,500 years is one of the vital components of the Chinese medicine system. It involves the insertion of stainless steel needles into various body areas, along with a low-frequency current to the needles to produce greater stimulation. Other Chinese practices used separately or in combination with acupuncture are: moxibustion (burning of floss or herbs applied to the skin); injection of sterile water, procaine, morphine, vitamins, or homeopathic solutions through the inserted needles; applications of laser beams (laserpuncture); placement of needles in the external ear (auriculotherapy); and acupressure (use of manual pressure). The acupuncture treatment is applied to "acupuncture points," located throughout the body. These acupuncture points as believed by today’s acupuncturists number more than 2,000.

For 40 years, the acupuncture system has gained popularity and has been widely accepted as an alternative medicine in both developed and developing counties. The American Cancer Society (ACS) formed for the treatment of cancer and treatment-related symptoms has recommended the use of acupuncture in cancer patients. It has been known to treat pain, nausea, breathlessness, vasomotor symptoms and limb edema.

Author: Kevin Stith
    Acupuncture provides detailed information on Acupuncture, Acupuncture And Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture Schools, Acupuncture and Weight Loss and more. Acupuncture is affiliated with Aromatherapy Candles.

2. tjr

tjr
    Expand Collapse

:pengy: :wah_little:

3. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

Is there a hidden meaning in this post?

4. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

What do you mean?

5. troi

troi
    Expand Collapse

i know chinese is a mystical language but but didn't know they invented smilies
    that has me well stumped

6. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

The VA (Veterans Administration) has recently hired practitioners of acupuncture and eastern medicine. However, given my ex and my experience with VA, I'm not sure that's a recommendation.

7. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Acupuncture can be very efficient at relieving pain. I've also heard it's very helpful to arthritis sufferers.

8. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Yep, fixes my hands right up but far too expensive for regular use. I've found that Hyaluronic acid is great for for arthritis.

9. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Freda,

Have you tried any of these?

Glucosamine Sulphate combined with Chrondroitin
    Green Lipped Mussel
    MSM

They're all supposed to be extremely helpful for arthritis and not half as expensive as acupuncture. :)

10. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I tried everything until my dear DIL got a bottle of hyaluronic acid for me. That stuff works!

11. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

What exactly is hyaluronic acid? Is it an over-the-counter thing?

12. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Yes its OTC here is where I get it (http://www.doctorstrust.com/). It comes in dry uncoated pills.