Thanks for checking out Let's talk...Memory Books!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options, why don't you take 37 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other Let's talk...Memory Books members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • Too many membership perks to list! Join today for free!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. this is just a test for the message system
    Dismiss Notice

Fools For Love?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angel, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

Love can make people do silly things. Like standing by someone whoÂ’s treated you badly.

WeÂ’ve all been there, well, most of us have, I reckon.

But when you look back was it love that made you act like a fool or something else?

A lack of self-confidence maybe?

2. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

In my case, I have stayed in a relationship because of "obligations." Expectations of society, my children, family, myself etc. As years have passed my perspective has changed. Even though I'm a fairly self confident person, I didn't see the importance of putting as much emphasis on my needs, as everyone else's. I think that's fairly common for many women because of society's "standard."

3. LadyStar17

LadyStar17
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I think we often stay when we shouldn't because we continue to hope - long after we should. We should remember in our expectations that both people have a right to nourishment.

4. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

I don't think im the kind of person to "put up" with a bad relationship because its whats expected of me, if i was treated badly i wouldnt be hanging around for it to happen again thats a cert!!!

5. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

That's a very good thing.

For other people though, things aren't always that easy. Many people are raised in dysfunctional families and don't understand what a healthy relationship is like. They only know what they've experienced and what feels "normal" to them, even though their gut may be nudging them that "this" is not the way it's supposed to be.

It took me a long time to recognize this about myself.

So, to add to my initial response......I don't think of anyone as a fool (including myself) for making bad choices regarding relationships. Life is about learning and I'm thankful that I now understand this lesson I had to learn.
    :smlove2:

6. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

I got lucky with my husband. But I do double as a therapist for many a friend lol, and have come to a conclusion... it is fear. Fear of being alone, of not being accepted into the 'normal' groups, of never having a companion. I think it stems from fear of being alone with themselves for many. I have a friend who swears after each bad relationship, that she is going to 'take at least 6-12 months off to get to know herself'... that usually lasts about a month and a half, then she is in another toxic relationship with a jerk. to me this is soo sad.
    I was raised in a very bad environment, and am blessed to have the man I do... and I will not let my kids feel the loneliness I did growing up. They will be self sufficient( which I think is another fear that guides many men and women into a relationship. They are not equipped to take care of themselves.. so they find one to take care of them.) and they will be better prepared than my husband or I for the real world.
    Breaking the cycle,
    Trishee

7. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I have a friend who has me working over time! LOL I just spoke with her this morning about her on again off again relationship with a man who treats her badly. I try to honest with her without being too harsh. That's a tricky maneuver for me because I'd like to slap in the head a few times and say, "Good God woman! Are you insane?!"

Gotta keep telling myself we all are different, we all have different lessons and we all learn them differently.

I think so too. At least in many circumstances. That's one of the things I repeatedly tell my friend. "I know it's scary......but you NEED to spend time alone." I am quite certain if she did that, she'd be become very patient waiting for the Mr Right to come along. Also, you probably won't find Mr Right if you're wasting all your time with Mr Wrong.

(((((hugs)))))) for Trishee 'cause YOU are a wise soul!

8. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

Maybe that is what she needs? I told a friend to shut up and listen... and some other stuff that was not politically correct, but she NEEDED to hear, truly hear me. I only know this cause she thanked me after I tole her to get her head out of her tushie hehe:whistling:

9. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

FREDA! I SQUEALED when I saw you here. (yes, literally!)
    :fairy:

10. Greensleeves

Greensleeves
    Expand Collapse

Hi Angel, I think, half of my problem is that I hate giving up in relationships. Can I really have chosen the wrong guy, yet again? This is me being 100% honest. When others would already have walked away, I am still hanging in there <ROFL>.

Love ~Greensleeves~

11. Greensleeves

Greensleeves
    Expand Collapse

Now, we have all had a lot of practice at getting hurt and we all look again, or most of us. So, ever hopeful. IF, I get that house, sounds like "fishing" and the world of fishermen, will be first hand. Yeh, I reckon you've all got to visit, so keep your fingers crossed. Just got to remember to bring your fishing rod, or net. Need not put anything on the end of the line. There are all kind of hooks, however, it's no good asking me, how to hook anything <ROFL>.

Meanwhile, just keep breathing in and out and smell the roses.:love01:

12. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

...but I keep following young cowboys in tight jeans around Wal-Mart. Sure wish they would notice.

13. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Um...um....ya know.....there's just no in between with me. You either get the sugary homily or both barrels.
    :cussing2: OR :1luvu:

Maybe YOU could talk to her for me? LOL

14. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes, when you are busy minding your own business, somebody sneaks up behind you. :bigblush:

My passport will have arrived by then and I will be waiting for the green light from you! My rod is ready and waiting. (ahem)

15. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I think our first trip should be to AZ to visit you. We can bring walkie talkies to the Walmart. :icon_drool: Yeeeeee Haaaaa!

16. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

I have gone fishing once... does crossing my fingers help catch em? hehe... Not sure if I am talking about catching men or trout... confused myself with my own double meaning... egads!

17. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Umm, I'm in NM. Maybe we could gang up on a few.

18. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea who this is since it came up as if I wrote it. However I suspect Tink. Thank you dear.

19. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Freda,

Yes it was Tink, it got farkled in the update LOL! Hmmmm I suspect fairy dust got in the works don't you?

20. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Either that or whole fairies!!!