Thanks for checking out Let's talk...Memory Books!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options, why don't you take 37 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other Let's talk...Memory Books members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • Too many membership perks to list! Join today for free!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. this is just a test for the message system
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a great April Fool?

Discussion in 'The Tea Room' started by Lynne, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

[fleft]http://www.thinkstop.com/community/boards/images/articles/spag.jpg[/fleft] It's 50 years since Panorama pulled off the most celebrated April Fool's spoof and duped Britain - and beyond - about spaghetti crops in Switzerland. So what makes a great April Fool's joke?

Panorama's now infamous spaghetti-tree spoof is considered a broadcasting milestone as it is believed to be the first time television was used to stage an April Fool's hoax.
    Made on budget of just £100, it told the tale of spaghetti harvesting in Switzerland and described how the seemingly bumper crop was at risk of late frosts, creating a disastrous situation for growers all over Europe.

The spoof documentary showed people in the Swiss Alps plucking strands of spaghetti from trees and laying it on the sun to dry. That it fooled so many was in part down to the fact that pasta, at the time, was deeply exotic in a nation reared on meat and two veg. Then there was the commentary provided in serious, hushed tones by that giant of broadcasting, Richard Dimbleby.

Full article here What makes a great April Fool?

2. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

My daughter got me GOOD on Sunday. Just wait until she gets home on Friday. (evil laugh)

On Thursday, she called me at work and asked if I could put money in her bank account because she was broke. (She's a 19 yr old college student) I transfered money when I got home. On Friday, her dad went to the bank to cash his paycheck and put another $50.00 in her account, not knowing that I had done so the day before. We both laughed at how she never called her dad to say, "Oh, mom already gave me money." Not Ms Nina. NO WAY! LOL

On Sunday, my husband and I were driving to Philadelphia when Nina calls and says that she needs more money in her account. Of course her dad starts flipping out and telling her she better get a job...yada yada yada. Then he asks her what she needs the money for. She answers, "Well.....I got picked up for underage drinking on Saturday night and the fines are a couple hundred dollars." Her dad starts giving her grief, I freaked out hollering "I'm not driving to XXXXX to go to court with you! You're going by yourself! You're getting a job to pay for your mistake! Blah blah blah!" I was TWISTED! Then she said, "April Fool's!"

Then she got her big brother. He's 22 and at college in Philadelphia. The two of them are VERY close.....like best friends. So she calls him and tells him that she has to talk to him about something serious. He asks what's up, and she tells him that she is pregnant and doesn't know how to tell Mom and Dad. He is extremely protective of her, so his response surprised her. He very calmly talked to her and offered nothing but support. She got so choked up at how compassionate he was that she felt horrible to let it go on any longer and finally said, "April Fool's!" I won't write what he said! LOL Let's just say.....he was no longer compassionate and supportive! LOL

3. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

I dont have anything so funny... what makes April 1st so neat, is that our son was born that day. He had the ultimate joke on me... ten days of contractions, little ******!

My husband is looking forward to pulling the 'we got you a car for your birthday... april fools.. just kidding, nah.. serious April Fool's!' Still not sure if we are getting him the car or not lmao

4. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

The only meaning that I know for meat and two veg is naughty.. so what is the other meaning here?? This is a totally serious question, BTW and am a lil embarrassed to have to ask

5. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I wish I could help you out, Trish. But remember, I'm the one that didn't know about shrimp and tossed salad. :coffeecupsmily:

6. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Trish,

This is a literal statement - the standard British dinner was meat (of any sort) with potatoes and another vegetable (carrots, cabbage or whatever) hence the saying meat and two veg.

7. Grimsson

Grimsson
    Expand Collapse

I'm with Trishee on that one. no matter how much you explain the literal meaning I will forever be thinking of Austin Powers when that is brought up. Sorry..lol:sunny:

8. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

I didn't even remember that it was April 1th. Just celebrated getting my tax return by going out to our only cafe.