Thanks for checking out Let's talk...Memory Books!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options, why don't you take 37 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other Let's talk...Memory Books members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • Too many membership perks to list! Join today for free!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. this is just a test for the message system
    Dismiss Notice

Gay Fairytales In Primary Schools

Discussion in 'The Soapbox' started by Angel, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

A new pilot scheme in England sees kids as young as five taught all about gay relationships.

The idea is to help youngsters see homosexual relationships as normal. Very worthy - but is that really the duty a of primary education?

What about learning to count, read or write? What about painting and playing?

Do we really need gay fairy tales in primary schools?

Im damn sure i don't want my Daughter learning about such things at her age, and im curious to know what others think?

2. Tegan

Tegan
    Expand Collapse

As a Mom, I understand that they are to attempting to teach tolerance, which is an important part of a curriculum (many parents still teach kids to hate differences at home). However, I agree with you, same sex relationships have no place in the primary or elementary level. Let me ask you, are the parents invited to participate in these talks? I think they should be if not.

3. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

To me it doesn't matter if it's same sex relationships or not, I don't think sex should be taught to primary school age children.

Whatever happened to innocence? What happened to kids being allowed to be kids?

4. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't have a problem with my children being exposed to stories about same sex relationships or having a teacher that is homosexual. My children knew from an early age what it meant to be gay.

In my opinion, intentionally not discussing topics implies that there is something "wrong" or "bad" about the subject. (not just homosexuality)

5. Tegan

Tegan
    Expand Collapse

It's one thing to tell a young child, Bobby has 2 Daddy's or Molly has 2 Mommy's and that is ok, but Lynne said it best, NO sexual discussions should be happening at such an early age. I don't think avoiding an issue is a good idea either, but why is it important to add this topic to a school cirriculum?

6. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I don't think the original post said anything about sex, unless I'm misreading it.

I think it's important for the same reason that you mentioned.....tolerance of differences.

7. Tegan

Tegan
    Expand Collapse

I had the opportunity to speak to a gay man at work yesterday about this. He had heard of this book and was not happy that his lifestyle was being portrayed in a fairy tale for the obvious connotation. He also pointed out that while teaching tolerance is important, singling out a specific group is not right either. He also said that teaching this to such young children in the form of a fantasy, he believes is also giving the wrong impression. He suggested assemblies outside of the regular school day where several different groups of lifestyles and cultures be represented, and parents could be invited to attend.

8. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I'm not quite sure why he was unhappy about "his" lifestyle being portrayed in a story. Maybe because he doesn't like being stereotyped, but we all know that stereotypes exist and they're based on the "media" majority. Meaning....how television, newspapers, magazines, etc sway our perspectives. Fairytales are not any different.

I have to say I am completely confused by his statement. How else can you teach tolerance without singling out "examples" that have been criticized or negatively stereotyped? How do you teach tolerance for homosexuality without focusing on homosexuality....or racism without discussing races?

Maybe it's just me, but I think people are digging way too deep into everything. It seems like they dissect the simplest things looking for some ulterior motive of taking over the world.

9. Tegan

Tegan
    Expand Collapse

I
    No, it's much more that being stereotyped, equating a gay man with faries is a slur, one he unfortunately has dealt with too often. So he's a bit touchy about the irony with the fairy tale, if you know what I mean.

Of course you can't, but does it need to be done in kindergarten?

10. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

This shows you how slow I can be. I never even made the connection of "fairy", "fairytales" and the word being a gay slur.

I think education about differences needs to begin as soon as the child is aware.

Some, especially those raised in a compassionate, tolerant home, probably won't even notice a difference. I don't remember my exact age when my mother began discussing these things with me but I was definitely of elementary school age. She was very firm with me that people of other races are not any better/worse than I am and that there are some people that are attracted to the same sex.

A parents' perspective makes a huge impact on a child. When I witnessed other kids being picked on for any of these reasons, I had the self-confidence to intervene and stand up for them. I'm not so sure I would have had that confidence if I hadn't had those discussions with my mother.

11. Tegan

Tegan
    Expand Collapse

IMO, I think education in these matters need to begin with the parents, meaning, the parents need to BE educated in tolerance. Then introduced later in elementary school, say around 4th grade to the children. We can teach all we want to kids, when they get home, some parents undo everything.

12. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Yep. That's true. All values should begin at home and only be reinforced at school. Unfortunately some people's values aren't very compassionate.

13. Tegan

Tegan
    Expand Collapse

Exactly why parent classes are needed in elementary schools. Have an evening assembly where parents and children can attend together. We have some like that hosted by a sister of one of the young girls slain at Columbine to teach tolerance of one another's difference to prevent another tragedy.

14. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Our district has a strong program for tolerance. It's taught at every grade level and there are several parent lectures with guest speakers throughout the school year. Assemblies are held several times a year to discuss issues regarding race, sexual preference, disabilities.....whatever. Any act of harassment toward a minority or any individual is subject to suspension or possible expulsion.

15. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

A lot of what schools teach is by default, parents don't or won't. Teachers are expected to raise the kids with contacts of one hour a day, five days a week. I see nothing wrong, at any age, with stories about Sally and Alice or Tom and Bill. It doesn't always have to be Dick and Jane. I suppose most of you are too young to remember the Dick and Jane readers (or went to school outside the US.)

16. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I remember! :eek:ldwalk:

17. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Bless you my child, you approach the "Age of the Frump."

18. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I want to be frumpy. Is there any way around that? :wiggle:

19. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Nope, it comes for us all - just means you have more time for other things.

20. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Hmmmm. Other things huh? Do I at least get to choose what those THINGS may be?